Sunday 15 November 2009

Book Club


I went to my first book club on friday and wasn't sure what to expect. The chosen book was 'Lush Life' by Richard Price and I had spent the last few weeks ploughing through it, so that I would be done before the meeting. It is a murder mystery, which I am not normally interested in, but was set in the Lower East Side in Manhattan, which is close to my heart, and I was interested to see how the author portrayed it. I struggled with it at first and found the language difficult to understand - the author has written for The Wire and a lot of the book is dialogue. But the story pulled me in and before long I was thumbing the pages and eager to find out what happened next.

The book club was held at the Tokyo American Club from 12 til 2pm in the Vineyard restaurant - very 'ladies who lunch'! There were about 9 of us and we sat at a table and ate lunch as we talked about the book. It was great to have just read something and to then be able to talk to people who had all just read the same book and all had a slightly different take on it, or were able to explain something that I may have overlooked. I met some nice people, and it was a pleasant way to spend a friday lunch!

PS On friday night we had an earthquake! It must have been at about 3am, so we were in bed. It feels a lot more scarey when you are lying down! Some people I know have emergency earthquake bags with torch, hard hat, cereal bars etc. It did cross my mind that maybe I should get one. Also, you are supposed to leave your bedroom door open at night so that you have a way out if the building subsides. Oooo errr!

No comments:

Post a Comment